What other income stream other than RealEstate & Stock?

Commercial rent is much lower and much more stable than many suspect, except for some super prime areas like Union Square in SF or 5th Ave in NYC. All else are pretty dull and landlords lack pricing power. Next time check how many storefronts remain empty for months if not years.

Foot traffic in most of US is very weak, day and night compared to places like Hong Kong and Singapore. We are car dependent here and amazon is killing offline retail. I don’t think people need to worry about shop rent too much.

Flip it around. If commercial is such a good investment how come you guys didn’t buy any?

1 Like

I see people investing 400k into a tasty pot for maybe a 10-15k net profit each month

1 Like

Sorta timely post with this thread:

2 Likes

Generally sites are valued at two to three times annual profit. If a site earns $50k a year it’s value is somewhere in the $100K – $150K range.

That gels with my comments on brick and mortar businesses as well. Usually PE is around 2.

Businesses take more efforts and risks than entirely passive real estate, but you are compensated for those efforts and risks.

I’ll actually go the brick and mortar route. Something totally unsexy like plumbing or laundromats that are unlikely to be disrupted by tech.

1 Like

Plumbing makes sense if you are owner worker, no?

1 Like

If a business just earns you wages it’s not a business it’s a job.

On the flip side, as long as you own stock, then you own a part of some business.

1 Like

Exactly my point. Scaling it might be impossible, your plumbing people might just create their own. Dont do plumbing.

Otoh, i hear chickfila operators make 120k+ a year, doesnt sound too bad for retirement, in case something bad happens and your retirement money is bust.

Something you can scale and make people work for you might be nice. Instead of a restaurant, making a restaurant chain, for example(like eureka in mv).

Restaurants are hard work and prone to fads and trends. Look at what happened to chipotle.

Haven’t looked at numbers of plumbing. One plumbing boss told me he didn’t start making any money until after he had his own business.

I think the simplest way to own your own business is franchising. I heard that 7-Eleven is the easiest and most brainless. However, you need to keep an eye on your employees stealing things…

Yeah restaurants are dirty, and you need really good traffic like in castro.
I am really more interested in fedex routes type bysinesses with constant work, and can dcale it a bit more easily.

Ok. Give it a shot. I am curious too.

My friend whom i mentioned before about fedex routes said he is looking to buy another one. I am trying to meet him soon, he is also trying to hire me to his team as a tlm, so it might be a winwin for both of us. He can see the bigger picture and his business mindset is pretty strong(sold 3 companies or something), so i definitely have a lot to learn from him, including that route business.

1 Like

The Little Mermaid?

Yup.

Report back @tomato. But I heard bezos is looking to squash fedex and ups? :scream:

Bezos is a risk for all businesses for sure.

Why do you always have to pump Amzn and give bezos more credit than he deserves.