What to Do with Tunnel Entry?

No way…one needs to look at the the actual house, Sir. This is just another Sunset tunnel entrance home…regardless of how you want to dice it up. This is not a prime West Portal style home…

That’s my point. It’s IN West Portal, but doesn’t look the part. So price reflected that.

But it sold for 300k over asking, despite that tunnel entrance!!! If the tunnel entrance was such a problem this shouldn’t have sold anywhere close to 1.6M…

That’s not west portal. That is inner parkside.

Well, I was going by what Redfin said in write-up (close to West Portal shops…) but yes tech in the category of Inner Parkside.

Again, I don’t have skin in the game (I don’t own a tunnel entrance home), but I honestly do not believe they are valued less, nor, valued more. Until someone can provide definitive sales info that points to that, I think it is fair to assume they are fine. Just try to find a freaking house to buy at asking price or less, ok!!!

I think tunnel or no tunnel makes no difference. Location and quality matter more.

Yeah, tunnel entrance homes are so bad… so bad that they sell for over 1.5M in the outer Sunset!!! A whopping 430k over asking!!! Now, this is listed as 3 bedrooms but it looks like it has a lower level master suite that is maybe illegal? Why not counted then, to be 4 bedrooms? Now, this one is the same agent (Tanya) as the nice one on 29th Ave across from the playground. It would be amazing if this one actually sells for more than that one. Can’t imagine 29th Ave going for 1.6M, but I have been surprised before. The Sunset is just flaming hot!!! And Tanya, she just might be the female version of Jason, The Machine!!!

This one that we talked about before only garnered a mere 1.25M. I suspect the sloping driveway and home downwards did not appeal to buyers. Otherwise, what went wrong? You even have full remodel, cathedral ceiling and ocean view. And, no tunnel entrance.

Wow, outer sunset sold for $1.5M. That’s insane! I remember seeing outer sunset sold for $900k couple years back and thought that was insane back then. So this is definitely a higher level of insanity :slight_smile:

Anyhow, that other house sold for mere 1.2 I think it’s because of its shape. They showed the back of the house rather than the front in the first picture for a reason. The front isn’t appealing at all.

The broker ought to be court martialed and shot at dawn. Why would you literally point to the wart of a house by showing the backside only photo first? Just show the front and go about your business as normal. Let the masses figure it out for themselves. Don’t point to it… Idiot!!!

1 Like

The tunnel at Lawton is not bad, because it’s really a 2-unit. So you have a front gate, and two separate doors to downstairs and upstairs. That makes sense.

So here’s another solution to tunnel entry: make it into a duplex.

I am really impressed by the two brokers, Tanya and Jason, in how they manage to practically get all of the really nice listings. Jason does his part by marketing and sending nice little notepads and calendars every year but honestly I have never received a thing from Tanya.

That is why the tunnel entrance does serve a real purpose. For those houses that have an inlaw but no separate entryway alongside garage, etc like that door for the garbage cans, at least one comes through a common gate and then each goes their separate ways. Otherwise, what are you going to do, a garage door that has a cut-out door? I have seen that and that is not appealing looking from an exterior perspective. You want an inlaw but you don’t want to make the exterior look like obviously you have one there too.

Lawton is also a flip:

Some schmugs got dazzled on the dolled up interior and overpaid. It listed for 775K last May and sold for 25K less. So let’s keep this “Outer is ultra hot!!!” meme in perspective… But no question LA is very good…

Well, perhaps the spectre of higher interest rates recently have really gotten everyone off the fence to finally buy (buy anything). Facts are facts. I don’t make them up. To say it was all smoke and mirros is not correct too. We talk about low inventory in general too. Many factors to consider. No one is putting a gun to someone’s head to buy…yet they are.

Not a problem! Give it couple more years, Outer Sunset home values will be $2M on average… :grin:

Manch, have you seen any good conversions of a tunnel entrance recently? We moved into a tunnel entrance home in the sunset last year and also agree it’s a waste of space. We wish we can turn downstairs into a big living area where kids have more room to play.

I don’t think there is any good way… I think the first thing to do is to put a roof over the staircase and put a door downstairs. Iron gate offers no privacy.

Tunnel entry is a stupid, stupid design.

Hmmm, this finally sold and fairly low at that… people did not like the window design for sure…

For a fixer in outer sunset this price is very good for the seller already. Can’t expect more.

Another god damn tunnel entry! I HATE tunnel entries! MOST stupid design EVER!!! :angry:

https://www.redfin.com/CA/San-Francisco/2767-37th-Ave-94116/home/1478066