Where Do You Stand On The Subject Of H-1B Visas?

https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2018/02/23/588469561/trump-administration-restricts-h-1b-worker-visas-coveted-by-high-tech

Well, let’s start a round of applause, shall we?

Why are workers from x country thinking that because they work here they have to have a green card? You can argue that they won’t come if no green card, but believe me, I’ve talked to enough Indians and other nationals to know they will go back as soon as they have plenty of $ in their hands.

Work they want? Thank you! Now, go home!

Any Einstein visa for nude girls in there?

I feel good and bad on this. I feel bad because my wife suffered through this for a bit over a year, i feel good because H4 maybe should go through similar standards (if not same) for hiring. Or maybe reduce H1B quota in favor of H1B+H4 combined category so families don’t suffer, while same amount of jobs are given to foreigners.

Nonworking spouse is very painful, for both sides in most cases.

Not if you’ve kids. Need a parent to take care of them.

I am glad i didn’t use that logic before :slight_smile:

An opinion piece…

You should thank Obama for allowing wives to work. On the other hand, the other guy doesn’t want it.

Yeah, don’t mention the lawsuit over them. It was either fight a losing legal battle or rescind them. Obama never had the authority to grant them.

Like kidnapping thousands of kids at the border.

We get it. :roll_eyes:

1 Like

Because they are not from Norway.

https://www.sfchronicle.com/business/article/H-1B-visa-lottery-changing-to-favor-those-with-13574410.php?src=hp_totn

Previously, an inital lottery granted 20,000 visas only to those holding advanced degrees granted by U.S. institutions — master’s or doctorates — and then a general lottery granted 65,000 visas to all qualified applicants.

The Department of Homeland Security switched the order of these lotteries, it said in a notice of the final rule change, which will bolster the odds for highly educated foreign nationals. The change reduces the likelihood that people with just a bachelor’s degree will win in the general lottery

1 Like

Talent war! Trump is trying to monopolize talents, come-on, let some nations have them.

Those nations should do a better job of making the talent want to stay in the country.

I have a co-workers from Chile. He wasn’t sure he wanted to stay in the US, so he didn’t apply for a green card until he worked here a year. He got it in less than a year. Apparently, we target hiring from specific companies in Chile, because green card quotas are by country.

1 Like

The biggest consumers of Green Card via Employment are

1. India
  2. China
  3. Others

So, other than 1 & 2 & maybe Mexico, every other country is OK.

1 Like

It’s a catchy headline which of course will make people scream racism. The actual data says it’s impacting outsourcing firms. Major tech employers aren’t seeing a change.

1 Like

Probably easier for major tech employers to get H1B employees now.

1 Like