Why Trump won

I read a lot, and everywhere I open a browser, the repented republicans are there crying baby when they were so adamant about voting for somebody who was not only vulgar, but uneducated on anything.

They really bought into the illusion of this great America that is not achievable with their own intellect. Most uneducated voters, in the red, poor, abandoned states bought and drank the Kool Aid, a Russian Kool Aid as far as I am concerned.

It was the biggest hoax in the US history. You can chant any story you want to chant, but the fact is that this was a dirty trick played on us.

Only those in the higher stratosphere will gain from this, perhaps one of you or two, but that’s it.

Education is not the solution - and regulation is a huge part of the problem. Obama left behind a nation that had fewer businesses then when he took office. What little economic growth we had was just big business getting bigger.
People need to get over the notion that regulation equals protection. Excessive regulation protects only mega-corps by putting up barriers to competition. Without competition there is less job growth and less innovation - why innovate when you can use fat profits to buy back your own shares and raise your stock price that way? Even here in Silicon Valley we’ve seen innovation move from things that improved the human condition like microprocessors and bio-medicine to less value-added social media. Over-regulation directs capital to less regulated or unregulated areas. This is what needs to change. Don’t know if Trump and his people can do it - it is a gargantuan task because the bureaucracy is so entrenched. But Hillary’s whole platform would have only dragged us down faster.

2 Likes

Humans have spiritual and social needs. MPU can’t soothe the sad soul in me.

I understand why desperate voters voted for Trump…What I dont understand is why all the Bernie supporters stayed home and let Trump win…Was Hillary that awful? …Our were they so stupid that they thought electing Trump would make a statement about how awful things are…Sorry but those Bernie supporters that are now rioting and protesting are idiots…

The Russians and all their fake news kept both Hillary and Bernie’s at home. It’s all established. The trolls disappeared as soon as Twhitler won, including Benghazi. How convenient.

If they wanted Hillary they would have voted…period…She had to cheat just to beat Bernie, a third rate canidate at best…Her manipulation of the Democratic machine turned off a lot of Bernie supporters

1 Like

I think a lot of Bernie supporters were independents not democrats. I know some people that registered democrat just to vote for him in primaries. They had zero allegiance to the democrat party. That’s why Bernie would have easily won. He’d have killed it with independent voters. Dems can blame themselves for Trump…

I love the irony of liberals. Putin is evil. Look at these people that opposed him that are now dead. Um, have you seen the body count of Clinton associates? I’d be scared to be friends with them. It apparently makes you prone to accidents and/or suicide.

The wikileaks were great. It showed the true intentions of the DNC. It also showed what they really thought of voters. If you can read that and still support them, then you’d probably buy your spouse a new car after they cheat on you.

It’s hilarious to see people blaming Trump for highways and dams failing in CA. Do people really think all the infrastructure was fine until a few weeks ago? That seems legit. People aren’t even educated enough to realize what items are maintained by state vs. federal funds. It’s their beloved democratic party that’s been wasting state money instead of taking care of infrastructure. Why worry about the highways and dams though? We’re going to get high speed rail!

And who are those?
Maybe you are confused with people asking Twhitler to come to console them when they are victims of a tragedy, as he did once during the campaign for the photo op, instead of tweeting.

While Iowa is still home to many strong supporters who say it’s too early to judge him, there are others who say they voted for Trump simply because he wasn’t Clinton.

Many Iowans worry Trump might cut support for wind-energy and ethanol programs;

that his trade policies could hurt farms that export their crops;

that mass deportations would empty the state’s factories and meat-packing plants;

and that a repeal of the Affordable Care Act would yank health insurance away from thousands.

While the hyper-simplicity of Trump’s campaign promises helped him win over voters, they are no match for the hyper-complexity of Iowa’s economy and values.

1 Like

Washington Compost push-poll… No where can they find anyone who voted for Trump but now says they wish they had voted for Clinton.
I heard a caller to a talk show yesterday say that if Trump does absolutely NOTHING he still has his support for 8 years because the caller didn’t want the progressives doing ANYTHING. Perfectly sound reasoning.

1 Like

We know what Trump wamts to do…He told everyone during the campaign. …The wall, immigration reform, getting rid of Obamacare, more jobs, tariffs, tax reform, draining the swamp. …Anyone remember Hillary’s platform?

1 Like

Did Trump mention amnesty?

If anyone listened after their knee jerk reaction, they’d know he was focused on deporting the criminals. He was always open to a program to allow a path to citizenship for non-criminals. Of course, most people reacted so emotionally to the first few words that they never heard the rest. The media didn’t help by constantly repeating the first part and ignoring the rest.

OK, I missed that part. So are the “illegal is illegal” crowd supporting amnesty now that their man is behind it?

1 Like

I think it’s a more pragmatic approach. However, if we keep granting amnesty every several years, then we’re only going to encourage more and more people to come illegally and wait for the next amnesty wave. The way the US tax system works, only a small percent of people are paying enough taxes to cover their share of costs for federal and state government. We should focus immigration on people that earn above that threshold, so they improve the budget situations. I think the math would be around $106k/yr household income. That’s top 20%(household income) and those people are paying 87% of all the collected income taxes.

If not, immigration is the equivalent of adding more and more people to a family while not increasing the income. Eventually you run out of money to feed your family. The math simply doesn’t work.

Just look at K-12 schools. CA spends $8k/year on each student. The average family has 2 kids, so that’s $16k/yr. How many families pay $16k/yr in property taxes, state income, and state sales tax? Even if you want to call it unfair, since school is 13 years and we work for longer, the math isn’t great. It’s $208k lifetime for that average family. If you work 35 years, that’s $5.9k/yr. What percent of CA households pay that much a year? That’s just to cover schools. You still have to fund the rest of the state budget. This is why we have such massive budget deficits and budget problems. The bulk of the population isn’t paying enough taxes to cover the services they receive.

2 Likes

Ain’t already like this without accounting for undocumented immigrants?

2 Likes

The last amnesty was over 30 years ago, so it’s more than “several years”. I agree with the moral hazard, but deporting all 11M people is just not practical. I don’t know what kind of “compromises” Trump is looking for though.

But in the end I think it’s extremely unlikely amnesty will pass through Congress. Heck, I am not sure Trump even checked with his own cabinet before airing it out. After spending 2 full years bashing immigrants, I don’t think Trump can take his base over to the amnesty side. But if he can pull if off? He will be one of the most accomplished presidents.

While he’s at it, maybe he can pass single payer health care too?

1 Like

Exactly.

1 Like

Yes. I can’t remember if it was vs 1970 or 1980. We added 100M population and only 2M more tax payers. California is roughly the same ratio for state taxes. Do we really need to throw gas on the fire with more low-income immigrants? We will eventually hit our Greece moment. We probably won’t default like them, but we’ll have to devalue the dollar so such that it creates massive instability and inflation. Just another reason we need to be energy and food independent as much as possible. It is the end game. The only question is when. Just a huge reason to be bullish RE, since it’s a hard asset. Plus, current interest rates are super low. I think RE would significantly outperform stocks in this scenario.

1 Like

Great minds think alike. It doesn’t matter whether RE would outperform stocks or not, it preserves wealth in the face of (hyper)inflation. Just ramp up rent :), it will lag inflation but is ok.

1 Like