Will Facebook Rock Our World Today?

I very much agree with Tyler here:

Zuck’s move is incredibly smart. In one fell swoop he put all this election garbage behind him. (BTW people should take responsibility for themselves instead of blaming a website.) That’s a very strong PR and smart political move. Facebook tweaks its newsfeed algo daily. They can always tweak it again if it proves too detrimental to their revenue.

This speculative China angle is fascinating!

Facebook’s pulling back from the news — which necessarily depends on conflict — and elevation of homier material may bolster the company’s attempt to enter China, where it has been met with stiff resistance.

“Facebook is just desperate to get into China, and it will never do that unless it censors news — and this is actually a neat solution to that,” Mr. Weisberg, the Slate chairman, said. “If you only have news on the platform shared by users, users who live under repressive regimes don’t have access to real news and can’t share it, because it’s legally prohibited.”

There is already a unicorn startup in China that’s purely newsfeed. I am not sure if FB can win in China after so many years’ headstart by local companies.

1 Like

Ok so FB dropped 5% after this “debacle”. However I checked my gain on it it is still up almost 400% from my initial investment… ok… can drop more and I don’t care… not losing any sleep over this for sure… :rofl:

2 Likes

Can Facebook succeed and be a great company/stock even without China? If they can grow more and monetize the users in South East Asia, Latin America, and Middle East/Africa, it seems like their runway is still quite long.

1 Like

I think long-term they have to develop revenue sources besides ads. The WW ad market is only so big. In the US, it’s $259B. Consumer spending dwarfs that, so it makes sense to develop some consumer products.

1 Like

People kept saying Apple relied too much on the iPhone. Well, FB relies completely on one website and google relies completely on search revenue. Where is their diversified revenue stream??? At the end of the day 90% of the companies rely on just one or couple sources of revenues.

2 Likes

That’s correct but journalists are telling the truth (Apple relying on iPhone) while conveniently forgot to mention other relevant facts (most companies rely on one to few products).
Oil companies depend on oil, car companies depend on car, etc.

1 Like

The social network is getting aggressive with people who don’t log in often, working to keep up its engagement numbers, Bloomberg reports. Sample this for instance: It’s been about a year since Rishi Gorantala deleted the Facebook app from his phone, and the company has only gotten more aggressive in its emails to win him back. The social network started out by alerting him every few days about friends that had posted photos or made comments – each time inviting him to click a link and view the activity on Facebook. He rarely did. Then, about once a week in September, he started to get prompts from a Facebook security customer-service address. “It looks like you’re having trouble logging into Facebook,” the emails would say. “Just click the button below and we’ll log you in. If you weren’t trying to log in, let us know.” He wasn’t trying. But he doesn’t think anybody else was, either. “The content of mail they send is essentially trying to trick you,” said Gorantala, 35, who lives in Chile. “Like someone tried to access my account so I should go and log in.”

I had uninstalled the app and severely curtailed how much time i spent on the site about 2 years ago. Within a month, FB called me to their office to participate in a 30 min research survey for 100$.

2 Likes

I have never installed their app… and use only a web browser in incognito mode. Even that might not prevent them from tracking me.
Following is a comment on slashdot. Not sure how far it is accurate.

They use what’s pretty much a permacookie for login. Not a session-based cookie. My latest-expiring non-session cookie on Facebook (according to Edit This Cookie extension in Chrome) is April of 2019. And remember that this cookie can be reactivated or renewed just by visiting a web site with a FB like button or conversion tracking code. You don’t have to be on facebook.com for it to renew.

:smile:

My original comment on them having less ads. Turns out they can charge more for ads if ads are rarer.

Ok, all you stock gurus, since wifey is a big time FBer, she mind as well invest in it (instead of cash sitting idle in her plethora of accounts) while this ideal bump in the road is with us (hopefully, just temporarily). If your suggestion is to invest in Mr. Z’s baby, when (future est time) or at what price point? Your commission advice check is in the mail of course…

I added more today. It might go lower. I’d just DCA in and buy 25% of what you want to own every 1-2 weeks. Don’t over think it.

1 Like

I added more today, placed limit order for 165. Another limit at 160 in case if it fall that level…let me see the end of light.

2 Likes

I bought at 165. My wife was pissed because she wanted to buy at 25. But we other priorities then.

1 Like

It seemed to bounce a bit today. People will realize it’s a bit bunch of hoopla over nothing. It’ll all be forgotten when they report earnings.

1 Like

Another dividend stock MON down 4%

https://www.investors.com/news/monsanto-dives-as-bayer-takeover-bid-faces-u-s-antitrust-hurdles/

Better price than mine, avg price = $172 :blush:

I bought 3000 shares back on the IPO day, price was $38 per share. Really it didn’t cost me any money because I used margin to purchase them :blush:

2 Likes

You are great, I made five times 167.60, 168.24,166.42,165.69,173.30 purchases.