You Want Excellent Chinese Food, Manch?

i went to dinner to this one, it’s great but a pricey

My dim sum bill was about 20% more than usual. It’s not too bad given the food and the environment.

I am surprised people hate it so much on Yelp. Jus to show how useless Yelp is for real Chinese food.

5 ppl dinner, $280 w/ tips
what i heard rumors is they bring in cook from china/hk. maybe bad reviews on those days they have local cook instead of real cook???

2 Likes

Hey big spender! :smile:

if depends on luck, i don’t think it’s worth it
yelp review some say really bad, maybe i got lucky that night

The latest Japanese fad.

Read this story long ago.

https://www.sfchronicle.com/food/article/Gram-Cafe-s-fluffy-Japanese-souffle-pancakes-13735155.php?cmpid=gsa-sfgate-result

The first Gram Cafe opened in Osaka in 2014. Now, there are more than 60 across Japan, Thailand and Hong Kong, with locations planned for Singapore, Indonesia and Australia.

So SF has Japanese pancakes ahead of Singapore. SG calls itself international city? :-1:

At Stonestown, diners will need to line up for tickets to access those coveted souffle pancakes ($16 for three). Only 30 orders will be available at three times per day: 11 a.m., 3 p.m. and 6 p.m.

“It’s not a gimmick,” Wong said. “It’s not like we want people to stand in line. It has to be precise, delicate, labor intensive.”

No, it’s a gimmick.

I wouldn’t stand in line even if it’s free, let alone $16. Craziness.

1 Like

@manch @harriet

It Might be easier if you two just give out a few recommendations in the City, Penisula, South Bay and East Bay since you guys tend to not like or are disappointed with many places.

I actually want to try the pancakes. But will I stand in line for 2 hours? Hell no.

Scratch 2 hours wait time. People are lining up for 3 HOURS!!! :scream:

OK. We have a new champion. Best dim sum in Bay Area:

Some of the dishes are pretty fusion-y, as in wasabi salmon tarts. I think it tastes better than my previous champ, HL Peninsula Pearl at Burlingame. Much cheaper than Pearl too. Only downside is their congee is pretty weak.

Yelp 3-star. Can’t go wrong.

Wow big statement. But yea, they are super popular already even on weekdays.

Fusion Hot Pot in the same plaza is pretty good too.

Finally went to China Live for lunch. Wow. Probably had the worst potsticker in my life. The dough tasted like cardboard and thick as hell. The fillings were nasty (worse than Ling Ling from Costco which is already on my blacklist). The XLB had no juice whatsoever. I was one of the two Asian customers in the entire restaurant, except for some of the staff working there. You know it’s bad news when the waiter asks you whether you know how to eat XLB (dip in ginger and vinegar). No wonder they had coupons on Travelzoo several months ago. I wouldn’t even pay Panda Express price to dine there again. Negative star.

1 Like

What are some good Chinese places you recommend in Chinatown?

It’s a disease!!! :scream:

We went for hot pot in Tahoe last week. Treated by a Chinese national. He said it was ok. Of course not as good as China. Tasted ok. But both me and my wife were sick within 20 minutes. Nasty. Will never have hot pot again. I think the food was contaminated. Sat unrefrigerated around too long?

@manch, @dioworld, @harriet, @sfdragonboy — my Asian-Born and ABCs buddies are swapping restaurant tips here now: https://www.reddit.com/r/DontWasteCalories/