Coronavirus SARS-CoV-2 Covid-19

I want to see a graph of where this ranks on causes of death over the last month. This is insanity.

15 posts were split to a new topic: How Trump has handled the pandemic

What are you trying to filter out?

The well water on my farm has no filter and no chemicals. Great for cleaning my wine equipment and using for testing.

Billionaire and Microsoft co-founder Bill Gates said the coronavirus that has killed at least 2,859 people and infected more than 83,700 globally may be the ā€œonce-in-a-century pathogen weā€™ve been worried about.ā€

Should we believe :thinking: above software :face_with_symbols_over_mouth: billionaire-entrepreneur?

World health leaders say the disease is spread by people who are mildly ill or donā€™t show any symptoms at allā€¦

A blogger here said we canā€™t trust China data. So we can trust American data? 91 confirmed cases? Sure?

2 Likes

@manch Last week you said Italy is a joke. Below is the latest stats. There are two advanced economy having higher fatality rate than Italy, one of them has 6% :scream: You claimed that Japanese didnā€™t manage the Diamond Princess cruise well, fatality is 0.99% only. You also claimed that Carrie Lam did a bad job, HK has 2% fatality rate lower than many advanced economy. Care to explain?

So itā€™s appleā€™s fault after all!!

:face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

This is what I am talking about. American CDC is a disgrace.

3 Likes

Seattle had the first US case then no cases for awhile. I think people were wrong about the incubation period which means people can spread it for 2 weeks before showing symptoms. That makes it much harder.

I thought everyone wants government run healthcare. I imagine itā€™d be a mix of CDC, board of supervisors, and DMV all rolled into one. I guess we would have to worry about global warming with all the people thatā€™d be dying.

4 Likes

S.Korea has public health care system (no private insurance available) and showed much higher efficiency in COVID-19 testing than US. S.Korea did over 100,000 tests for 50 million people. US did less than 1000 tests for 320 million people.

4 Likes

https://apple.news/AcP_EQf_NSo6fEaE9gw4fOg

Always listen to Singaporeans for brutal truth :nerd_face:, no prejudice :wink: and preconceived judgement :crazy_face:

There are combination of factors limiting U.S. testing capacity, including guidelines limiting the surveillance and detection of potential coronavirus cases; an inadequate supply of coronavirus tests, due in part to regulatory hurdles; and ongoing problems at the CDC as it tries to develop and distribute an accurate test to the labs that need it.

Regulatory hurdles? Sound familiar :slightly_frowning_face:

Slow to change guidelines? Typical bureaucracy.

Develop an accurate test? Re-inventing the wheel! A not-invented-here syndrome.

3 Likes

I was looking forward to some worldly wisdom but what the woman said was just some commonsense platitude.

:man_shrugging:

https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2020/02/singapore-claims-first-use-antibody-test-track-coronavirus-infections

Unexpectedly, the husband tested positive by PCR; he was hospitalized in isolation the next day. His wifeā€™s PCR test was negative, but the antibody test results, available several days later, showed she had antibodies, as did her husband. ā€œWe believe this is the first time in the world where these particular tests have been used in this contextā€ of contact tracing, virologist Danielle Anderson of Duke-NUS said during a Tuesday briefing.

PCR test is unreliable.

Still donā€™t understand how come SG has more cases than HK. Itā€™s so much farther away from China and was among the first to shut its doors to Chinese nationals.

Incidentally, USA can buy test kits from Singapore,

https://www.businesstimes.com.sg/garage/singapore-biotech-firm-veredus-launches-covid-19-test-kit-for-hospital-lab-use

:slight_smile: Not using a RO filter. Using a NSF rated filter on the refrigerator.

Gotta make sure 3M keep its factories working 24/7

1 Like