Coronavirus SARS-CoV-2 Covid-19

Regime change.

2 Likes

That was one of several buildings I worked inā€¦

1 Like

Take lots of fluids, rest, fruits. Also run a humidifier at home and keep home humidity between 40-70%. Keep temperatures warm as well.

1 Like

We are dropping the ball. Decisive actions are needed and they are needed fast. Close all the schools and let everyone work from home. Seattle is turning into Wuhan.

1 Like

Same here too. I bet Santa Clara/Mountain View/SF/San Mateo has a lot of walking dead and spreading out already,

2 Likes

I believe the studies that show almost all of us are going to get this virus. We just need to ensure that we can get through the infection by taking care of our health or delay getting infected till vaccines start to come out towards the end of the year

1 Like

I donā€™t think just taking care of personal health is good enough. We need to slow the spread of the virus. Many older people with existing conditions canā€™t survive this, no matter what they do.

Only 10-50 million Americans get the flu annually. This a very dire prediction.

2 Likes

A lot of people stay loaded with Vitamin C/Vitamin D to boost the immune system. Could possibly also help with the Coronavirus.

The lack of testing described by the lady on twitter, though, is horrifying. Itā€™s pretty much malpractice.

At this rate looking at how CDC operates I donā€™t think we can make it to the end of the year. Weā€™ll be lucky if we can delay getting infected by the summer.

I heard a story (not verified) about someone suspected of contracting the Coronavirus but the healthcare facility didnā€™t feel that it was medically necessary (perhaps he/she just showed very mild symptoms). He/she insisted on having the test done and the results turned out to be negative. Nonetheless this person ended up getting a $4K bill because the insurance didnā€™t cover for it.

1 Like

Why do you think youā€™ll get it? It doesnā€™t seem to be easily contagious. If it was, itā€™d have spread to everyone in the cruise ship and everyone on the airplanes back from Japan.

There are a lot of detailed coverage in Asian news. There are multiple accounts of people contracting the virus at elevators, public transportation, etc. Iā€™m actually surprised at the relatively muted response here in the states.

I question whether weā€™ll have a vaccine. I thought the cold was a coronavirus. I also thought people were working on a cold vaccine for quite a while and nothingā€™s been released. I think the best bet is to try to slow the spread and figure out how to treat it.

Plus experimental vaccines donā€™t tend to be the safest :frowning: I wouldnā€™t bank on that being the magic pill.

Interestingly, this could bite the Bay Area big time. While the rest of the US heats up for the summer, weā€™re going to have low enough temps that Coronavirus could keep on going.

Americans havenā€™t lived thru the SARS epidemic. Back then Chinese economy was much smaller than today and trade link much sparser. I donā€™t even recall if there were any SARS cases in the States. On the other hand Asians knew this first hand. I still remember the name of the female HK doctor who died in her job.

Diamond Princess had ~3,700 people on board and ~700 got the virus.

• 3,711 on board, 706 got the virus (19%)
  • left port on 1/20 to return 2/4
  • man tested positive on 2/1
  • quarantine period ended on 2/19
  • 6 passed away (.85%)

3-5 weeks to hit 20% of the population who knew there was a virus going around isnā€™t a great outlook!

2 Likes

There were vaccines developed for SARS but subsequently shelved due to cost and the fact SARS died out. This virus is so close to SARS, I believe a vaccine is only a matter of time

2 Likes

Death Rate - the way they calculate death/infected
the way should be - death/ (death+recovered)
Thereā€™s only 2 options right? either u die or u good to go
So the number they using is assuming every infected that hasnā€™t dead as recovered.

1 Like

Suspected is pretty expensive to do the testing. Test 1 million people = $4B :scream:
If cost the same in China + healthcare costs + economic disruption, the cost of Covid-19 in China could amount to $T :scream: Wonder whether China can and if can how well to recover from this.