Secular inflation is here

I am thinking of upgrading the wall/ built-in oven to one that has air-fry function.

Btw, because of the discounts, I took the opportunity :grinning: to replace lots of casual clothes and inner wears.

Don’t know how old my washer and dryer are. They came with the house. Maybe someone will get desperate enough to deliver a set of Speedqueens out here to the boonies. I’ll never need to buy a washer or dryer again. I could have a conversation in whispers in the laundry room with both machines running and have no problem hearing anyone.
I also can’t get anyone out her to install a good gas generator. Not an urgent thing but if the Dems take over the AZ corporate commission and go all “green new deal” on the utilities I’ll need one.

Biden Close to Rollback of Chinese Tariffs to Fight Inflation

Does it really help? The real culprit is printing of money, not the war or any issues related to China.

Mostly domestic.

2 Likes

Gas is used for? generating electricity? for cooking? heating?

Americans Tap Pandemic Savings to Cope With Inflation

Households of almost all income levels drew down those balances in the first quarter

In Germany they’re talking about rationing hot water.

Europe is screwed.

1 Like

Nevertheless Fed has to raise rate to the neutral rate of 2.5%, so +0.75% on Jul 20 Fed meeting is almost certain regardless of CPI.

Nuclear Power Gets New Push in U.S., Winning Converts

With challenges in meeting clean energy goals and new electricity demands, politicians in both parties seek to prolong and even expand reactor use.

Secular inflation?

Quite the plunge for @Bloomberg Commodity Spot Index, which is down 18% over past 4 weeks; worst rolling 20-day % change since COVID implosion and, before that, the GFC

5-year breakeven rate, a measure of how much inflation the market expects over the next 5 years, is rolling over. Bond market doesn’t seem to buy the “secular inflation” theory.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2022-07-05/us-factory-boom-heats-up-as-ceos-yank-production-out-of-china?utm_campaign=news&utm_medium=bd&utm_source=applenews

Great news. The cost of shipping has skyrocketed. Making made in America competitive. Off shoring should be punished with tariffs. And on shoring should be rewarded with tax breaks.